Almost one-third of Ireland’s energy needs now comes from wind, the second highest in Europe.
- 19 new wind farms were built in 2018.
- The record for the most wind on the all-Ireland system at any one time was broken three times in 2018.
- In January 2018, for the first time, wind energy provided more electricity than gas over a full month.
Community Wind Farms:
The Templederry Community Wind Farm in County Tipperary is a good case study for anyone interested in community wind farms.
- Irish Wind Farmers Association
- Irish Wind Energy Association
- Life-Cycle of an Onshore Wind Farm
- Wind Energy – ESB
- SSE Airtricity
- The government is proposing a new support scheme, the Renewable Electricity Support Scheme (RESS), with wind farms having a typical production life of approximately 20 to 25 years.
- Community Wind Farms Support Scheme 2019
Planning permission must be sought for solar farms.
Land may be also be leased to solar companies: