The Irish Government and City and County Councils around the country have declared a Biodiversity and Climate Emergency.
Three Simple Steps to Meeting Ireland’s Climate and Biodiversity Goals:
- Reducing Agricultural Land use by 62% from 4.5 Mha to 1.7 Mha. On average over 80% of farms in Ireland, on 3 Million hectares (Mha), receive more than 100% of their income from subsidies. These farms already operate at an economic loss meaning family farm income is actually less than the current level of subsidies.
- Converting 2.8 Mha to Natural Ecosystems. The majority of large farmers and all small farmers will increase their income by continuing to receive their current CAP payments while divesting from animal agriculture.
- Converting 1.7 Mha to Plant Based Agriculture. 1.7 Mha of Plant Based Agriculture produces three times the food calories of our current 4.5 Mha meat and dairy system.
50% of Land for Biodiversity Reduces Climate Change Emissions by 50%
By transitioning to a plant based agricultural system and restoring native forests, grasslands, bogs and wetlands to 50% of the total Land Area we can reduce our GHG Emissions by over 50% and allow our biodiversity to recover.
Participate – Six Actions to Restore Biodiversity and Reverse Climate Change:
- Move to a Plant-Based Diet – For more information you can read the Vegan Guide here. Watch Cowspiracy and Forks Over Knives to further inform yourself on the issues.
- Sign the Petition – This petition will be handed into the Department of Climate Action, Communication and the Environment and the Department of Agriculture.
- Organise – Set up a local chapter of Nature Rising. You can register your local chapter by sending an e-mail to email@example.com and we will list it on our website and social media so other people in your area can get involved.
- Education and Outreach – We are asking local chapters around the country to set up information tables in their local city or town every Saturday for four hours from 11am – 3pm. Each group can set up a rota so that each person can contribute two hours from time to time. Try to find a place that has some shelter from the weather. You can print off our Information Pamphlet and hand this out to the public. You can also download the following posters to put up at your table (one in front and two side posters).
- Lobby your local Politicans – Please use the following guide to contact your local City and County Councillors and your local TDs and MEPs.
- Join our group on Facebook – Nature Rising Activism.